Search This Blog

Monday, May 28, 2012

Back in Black

I have a new candidate for best summer movie, and it's Men in Black III, the long-awaited follow up to the more than somewhat disappointing MIB II. I'll say this right now: There was a very low chance I wasn't going to like this one. The first Men in Black is sitting in position 17 on my list of best movies ever, and it's on DVD in my room.
One of the plusses I saw first off was that the worms got very little screen time. Sure, they're funny, but they ruined the second one and created a Jar-Jar Binks-y feel that was kind of off-putting. The opening sequence is just weird as crap, but if you can make it past a guy's clawlike hand pet being smuggled into a lunar prison in a jello-like pink cake, you're ready for the rest of the movie.
This was Will Smith's first film for almost four years, so it was great to see him back onscreen-- and in the suit, too. But the movie was really made by its supporting cast, which included Andy Warhol (who is actually an undercover MIB agent), a replacement for Zed, the old burly guy who ran the show in the first two movies, a fifth-dimensional being who can see alternate outcomes in the space-time continuum before they occur, and Josh Brolin as a young Agent K. The whole plot revolves around a time-jumping alien who wants revenge for when K blew off his arm and put him in jail 40 years ago. To do that, he had to travel back in time by jumping off of the Chrysler building.
I'm sure you've figured out most of the plot from the previews (which you've watched to excess, right...?), and I don't want to spoil the death-defying finale for you, so I'll just say this: Although I'm only giving this 8/10 stars, it was actually more enjoyable than The Avengers. You may have gotten a moment of glee watching the movie five years in the making, but to see the original MIB agents back on the big screen is just a little too awesome.
Skip the Dictator, and if you have to, skip The Avengers. WATCH THIS NOW.
Bye!
Oh, and by the way, the Golden Gate Bridge is officially 75 years old! I went to see the fireworks over the gate last night, and it was really intense, except for the morons next to me going OOOH! AAAAH! OH SWEET JESUS, PRETTY LIGHTS! Anyway, the night went off without a hitch-- or a terrorist attack, which I was surprised by.

No comments:

Post a Comment