Search This Blog

Saturday, May 5, 2012

Awesomeness Assembled

My mind is completely blown/dead right now, partly because I just ran all the way home from the movie theater with a medium-sized Pepsi in my belly, but mainly because I just saw The Avengers. And I was blown away. My mind is reeling. I can't speak in coherent sentences. Just... wow.
Not to say it didn't have its flaws. It occasionally makes the mistake of confusing what it's trying to do: Does it want to be funny or serious? Does it want to be Iron Man 3 or Transformers 4? And Nick Fury got a little too much screen time for not having a superpower. His big line in the movie is when he asks Thor what a quarter pounder is called on Asgard.
Another issue is that the whole 'bad guy' concept is really crappy. They could have used any of a half-dozen villains, but NO! They had to go with Loki, the annoying, sniveling, conniving, Romney-like douchebag from the worst of the Marvel movies: Thor (click HERE for my old review of it).
They finally got the Big Green Guy right, though. There's not too much talking and just enough smashing. My main beef is, as always, Captain America, who is an incredible asshole. And I totally called it in my last post: He expressed knowledge of some racial slurs and said, kind of bluntly, "There's only one God, and he doesn't dress like that". Of course, he was talking about Loki's horn-helmet thing.
Not to spoil the whole thing, but Iron Man saves that day (as usual), because, well... he's F***ing Iron Man. And of course, Iron Man 3 is scheduled for 2013, so he lives until then at least. I was also impressed with Hawkeye, who turns out to be much more useful than I thought he would be. Unfortunately, the baddies take over his mind, so... oops.
And then there's Scarlett Johansson. There are a few scenes where you can tell that Thor is a little distracted around her.
IF YA KNOW WHAT I'M SAYIN'.
So, final score? Well, the flaws listed above are too numerous for a flat 10/10, but this warrants a solid Nine. Good (but not great) plot, enough badass characters to outweigh the crappy ones, and special effects that will blow your mind.
See it. NOW.
Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment