Search This Blog

Friday, August 3, 2012

Dual Review: Spider-Man and Total Recall

I've seen two movies in the past week or so, but I never got around to reviewing one of them, so I just waited for today so I could write a DUAL REVIEW!!! I'll need to shorten my usual review length by a bit, but it's okay, seeing as neither movie deserved the seven dollars I paid for them.
First off, I saw The Amazing Spider-Man two weeks ago but didn't find it important enough to review immediately, and I forgot about it. Which should tell you all you need to know. It failed on so many levels, not only with a boring subplot and breathtakingly bad CGI, but a painful feeling of uselessness through the whole thing. It just seemed so freaking unnecessary. I get the idea, if Marvel wants to include Spider-Man in The Avengers 2, they need to re-boot him. But then why no Nick Fury cameo? Grrr...
Fortunately, it's made worthwhile only by a few good performances, namely Martin Sheen as Uncle Ben. If I have to tell you any more about that character, then that's just pathetic.
Final score for The Amazing Spider-Man? 5/10 stars. It was slow, painful, and even the final battle scene seemed kind of drawn-out. However, the movie DID stay mostly canonical, the best example of which was where he made his OWN web shooters instead of... oh, God, I'm a nerd.
And then we have Total Recall. I never saw the original film with Arnold Schwartznegger, but I'm sure it was good, filled with good action and one-liners. But it seems to have been lost a little in this remake, which holds water for a while, but ultimately eats itself with bland performances and that vampire girl from Underworld. Graham Vert
Colin Farrell may be the only good-to-mediocre part of the film, mainly because he does a very convincing 'Confused Stare'. The effects are fantastic, though, and while the story is ludicrous, it's hard not to get caught up in it. Final score: 4/10 stars.
Usually I see movies that I KNOW I will like, which is why my reviews usually fall into the 7-10 star range. But I only saw these two because I wanted to go eat popcorn in an air-conditioned theater for two hours. And what do you know: They're both equally forgettable.
Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment