Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

The Hunger Games

I was hoping to blog about this movie as soon as it came out, so that I could say that this post was 'cutting edge', or 'high-tech', or 'updated hourly', or even 'well-written'. But I didn't. So I can't. So without further ado, let's get right into my review of The Hunger Games!
I'm not going to bother giving you the basic plot outline for The Hunger Games. I'm going to assume that every media outlet has broadcast the plot into your skull 24/7. I don't fully know what to think of this movie. It failed in some parts and was badass in others. Its main accomplishment was the never-ending adrenaline rush that stayed with you after you left the theater. The bad part was the fight scenes often came in between long, monotonous shots of teenagers staring at each other 'lovingly'. It tried to have something for everyone, but ended up just disappointing anyone who hadn't read the books (me!).
For the guys, there were intense, deadly fight scenes. For the girls, there was romance and crap. But it's really awkward for the fellas to sit through stuff like that, and there wasn't even enough gore to upset a weak stomach. But I can imagine that for girls, the arrow-shooting and random sword fights can get old.
The cinematography was bad, too. The camera jerked around like it was a home video. It could have gotten away with it, but it wasn't a found-footage film like Chronicle. It had no excuse.
BUT: It is an extraordinarily memorable movie, with intense battles and a great scene where she shoots an arrow through an apple while it's in a pig's mouth... I guess that didn't make any sense to anyone who didn't see the movie. But it wasn't too bad. And even for the dudes, the ending scene was kind of nice. Also, there's a Stephen Colbert-like character who runs a TV show and hosts the Hunger Games themselves. Final score? 6/10. Not bad, but not great.
Let's end with a plus: Jennifer Lawrence was pretty boss sauce. I hadn't seen her in anything else, but she was pretty impressive.
Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment