Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Day Two...












On day two, we drove for an hour to Mt. Lassen. We were headed to a trail called Bumpass Hell (pronounced 'Bump-ASS Hell). We took only a few donuts to the trail. It was coated in slippery snow and rocks. We saw a frozen-over lake and I broke my walking stick in half, but we made it to the volcanic sulfur pits of Mt Lassen (which, by the way, is a volcano). I know you'll say 'oh, come on, you didn't really do that', so here is photographic proof. That face I'm making is in response to the acidic rotten-egg smell of the sulfur. The snow I threw in melted instantly and began to steam. Steam and explosions rocked the surface. The ground was so hot that we were told to stay only on the wooden walkway. The top photo is a pic of it.
Our return hike was harder because it was uphill. I slid down most of the way, but up proved harder. I was slipping and sliding and screaming all over the place. We drove through the park and back to the hotel. After the incident with the previous restaurant, we ate the fine mini-pizza cuisine, watched Star Trek: The Next Generation, and fell asleep.


TO BE CONTINUED...

No comments:

Post a Comment