Search This Blog

Friday, November 9, 2012

Skyfail

I just got back from seeing Skyfall, the latest Bond movie, with my friends Calvin, Luke, Mike, Justin, Connor, Luis, Kevin, Steven, Steven's German cousin...

It'll go quicker if I list the people who DIDN'T go. Anyway, I'm not blogging to talk about the peeps, I'm blogging to talk about the first movie I've seen in theaters while I'm 15. Bond's latest outing was, unfortunately, just as disappointing as the other two movies with Daniel Craig as the leading man himself. My big problem with Craig is that he doesn't bring any of the charm or humor that Sean Connery did, and the movies with him have reflected that in their crushing seriousness.

The first 10 or 20 minutes of Skyfall are fantastic, featuring a great chase scene that ends in Bond being accidentally shot by one of MI6's own agents. He falls off a bridge into a river and is not seen or heard from again. Of course, 007 never dies (which is the basic plot of 1967's 'You Only Live Twice'), and he resurfaces when a terrorist threatens to blow the cover of five agents a week until he gets what he wants.

The movie's biggest plot flaw was that we never find out what he wants. It turns out that he's a guy from M's past who wants revenge for... something... and he blows things up and says one-liners in stereotypical Bond fashion. But OH MY GOD, he was the absolute WORST James Bond villain to date. It wasn't Javier Bardem's fault, but the guy (for some inexplicable reason) was... like... bisexual. I am not kidding. There's a scene where he starts rubbing Bond's thighs. I'm not the kind of guy who calls things 'gay' as an insult, but it was totally gay.


The theme music by Adele stank, but that's probably because she didn't write the lyrics herself. The ending was terrible, and featured the most disappointing final action sequence ever. Apparently, 'Skyfall' refers to Bond's childhood home, and we get to see the inside of his old manor in Scotland. It's way, waaaaaaaay less cool than it sounds.

So, final score for Skyfall? 5/10 stars. This movie was bad, cold, unfeeling, and occasionally really boring. But hey, apparently the other two Daniel Craig 007 movies were good, and I didn't like THEM. So go and see it, maybe you'll see something in it that I didn't.

Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment