Search This Blog

Monday, July 18, 2011

Uzbekistan

So, I was looking at my blog's country stats (showing how many times each country has read my blog), and I noticed that the 'Stan' family of countries was conspicuously absent. In the interest of being read in a 'Stan' before the year is out, I picked a random 'Stan' country (Uzbekistan) to devote this post to. Hopefully, blogging about Uzbekistan-related topics will encourage someone from Uzbekistan to visit my blog. So the rest of this post will be devoted to me, speaking directly to Uzbekistan.
Disclaimer: I got all the following information off of Wikipedia.
Hey, Uzbekistan! How are things going with the Aral Sea? It's really a shame that it's drying up.
But enough about major ecological disasters-- How's the province of Qashqadaryo Viloyati? I'm sure it's great, as always. Hey, I'd like to congratulate you on being a member of The Commonwealth of Independent States! And before that, you were an province of the Soviet Union! Very nice.
Now that I've warmed up to you, I've got to say something--- you have to cut back on your religious intolerance. Just because an estimated 96.3% of your population is muslim, that doesn't mean your government has to ban all religious activities not approved by the state. You don't have to get rid of all the intolerance overnight, just set a reachable goal and meet it, and you'll feel like you accomplished something.
Moving on, I notice that besides Lichtenstein, you're the world's only doubly landlocked country! That's very... YAWN... fascinating.
You're somewhat famous in sports, too--- You're home to the cyclist Djamolidine Abdoujaparov! How exciting!
So, how about geography? I notice that a massive chunk of your landmass is taken up by the Kyzyl Kum desert! And your highest point is Khazret Sultan, a mountain standing 15,233 feet above sea level!
On to politics: How's it going with President Islam Karimov and Prime Minister Shavkat Mirziyayev? I see Karimov has been your president since you declared independence from the Soviet Union in 1990. And I understand that Mirziyayev was the governor of the Jizzakh Province before he became PM.
Well, I guess I'd better wrap this up, because my regular readers are learning more about Uzbekistan than they ever cared to know. Bye!

PS: Good to know that Osama bin Laden wasn't hiding in Tashkent after all!
<< Scenic Uzbekistan

No comments:

Post a Comment