Search This Blog

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Cattle: LA

Well, I just went to the movies, and you know what that means: It's time for another PATENTED G-FORCE MOVIE REVIEW 2011!!!
Today we have Battle: LA, the most recent alien invasion movie (and certainly not the last. Just wait for 'Cowboys and Aliens' with Harrison Ford). But I feel it is my duty to review it. Oh, and thanks to my dad's friend at work who scored us two free tickets. Awesome. And secondarily: Sorry. I couldn't come up with a better bad pun for Battle: LA than the moronic title of this post.
As usual, if you want some spoilers, highlight the following blank space. If you don't want to give Hollywood your hard-earned money, tough. Wait for tomorrow's blog.
This movie was awful, and through the whole thing I had a sense of deja-vu. And you know why? It's because I'd already seen the three movies it's ripping off: The Hurt Locker, which is where this movie gets its military side, District Nine, which had exactly the same style of filming and almost identical special effects, and last but not least, Independence Day. Battle: LA, unfortunately, wasn't nearly as good as any of those. The only good thing was that, inevitably, Dodger Stadium must have been destroyed. GIANTS RULE! GIANTS RULE! GIANTS RULE!
Sorry. Anyway, here's the synopsis: Aliens land in meteors (which, by the way, was stolen from The Blob) and proceed to wreak havoc, blowing up anyone and anything they see. How fun. This movie borrows too heavily from other films to have any true credibility, but we did get to care about the main characters. I have to admit, I was on the edge of my seat at the final scene, where they have to aim a laser at the main control system so F-15 fighter jets can knock it out. Oh, and that whole part was an epic steal from Independence Day, the final scene of which involves Jeff Goldblum and Will Smith (the dynamic duo) flying into the center of the alien ship to implant a computer virus.
All in all, the whole movie reminded me of a really dramatic 'Call of Duty' match, but with aliens and a very basic plotline. Through the whole thing, I was able to call out 'Oh, that guy's using a WA2000 sniper rifle!' That was fun.
So, long story short: 2 out of 10 stars.
<< They ain't ET.
Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment