Search This Blog

Thursday, March 24, 2011

FLOOD!

Hello, everyone. No, this is not a follow-up on my zombie series. This is a real disaster. Here's the full story.
Yesterday, I saw a sign on the creek bridge here in San Anselmo which read: CAUTION: CONTAMINATED SEWER WATER. My friend Luis swam in the creek and got violently ill. Now, in order to fix this, the city had to close off all the storm drains to keep the water from flowing into the creek. But because of this, the whole city flooded and the creek was only at five feet!
When my spanish class let out (2nd period), I ran to the end of the locker hall to find my friends. What I found was a river. The entire downpour we've recently had had pooled together into one massive flowing, churning monster which lapped at the edges of the classrooms.
After math (3rd period), I ran to the end of the hall during the three minutes between classes. What I found was shocking. The river had expanded and was still growing! The storm drains just wouldn't work! People were sending little paper boats out onto the river, clogging the drains even further! This was truly a time for an episode of my soon-to-be award-winning series...
DISASTER... IN MARIN!!!
I had science for the next period, so I routinely checked on the river outside through the window on the other side of the room. Then the bell for lunch rang, but I stayed in science class (I wasn't about to get stampeded out in the locker hall. The entire 7th grade was jammed into that tiny little area).
Then the end of lunch came, but I couldn't get out. There were three ways; one was cordoned off with caution tape, one was filled with people pushing and shoving to escape the flood of mud, and one led out the back entrance of the class. I knew I'd be late for my next class if I tried to go through the locker jam, so I ran out the back door.
I flung my backpack across the river ahead of me, and I jumped from lunch table to lunch table in order to escape. I made for the high ground, a series of hills behind the school. I thought I was home free...
But I stepped on some grass, which looked surprisingly solid. Unfortunately, the mud underneath it had been transformed into quicksand. I sank down a good six inches before I could pull myself out. I was so panicked that I just charged right through the raging river, getting my shoes, socks, and pants completely soaked. And I didn't even get to class on time.
That was intense.
Bye!

No comments:

Post a Comment